Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cocoa Shell Mulch: Friend or Foe

Spring is trying to get here with each passing day. In some areas, just when you thought it was safe to drink in the spring air - snow is in the forecast. Ahhhh, it will get here, maybe by fall.

With spring weather comes outdoor spring projects - lawn and garden for many of us. This year I was excited about utilizing Cocoa Shell Mulch. Have you heard of it? It has great color. It's recycled / upcycled / re-used cocoa bean shells for mulch. Love the idea. Love chocolate. Love the 'green' attribute. And lu-uv the aroma! As I did some quick research, I find it won't work for our home. We have two dogs - boxers. And our youngest, well, he puts anything and everything in his mouth. Danger Will Robinson...Danger....

Here are two links I found online:

Cocoa Mulch FAQ

Cocoa Mulch Potential Hazard to Pets

If we didn't have boxers, I would so use it - in both my garden for pathways and in my flower beds. Please be sure to share this information with your pet loving / owning friends and family members. You decide for yourself - I've got to get back to production!

Happy (almost) Spring!

No comments: